Life Update : April 2016

Although I try to write blog posts regularly as often as I can, I am aware that I don't tend to post anything about work or my career plans and this has mainly been due to what I have dubbed as a bit of 'stuck-in-the-mud-of-life-don't-know-what-I-am-doing-I-am-28-years-old-and-I-feel-so-lost' syndrome.

I'm sure we've all had it right? RIGHT?! Please tell me I'm not the only one that feels this way?

I do feel like I am turning a corner somewhat, in terms of work, and have devised a bit of a plan (albeit rather vague) of what I want to achieve in the next few years, so here it is in summary:
My life summed up at the moment
- The overall plan is to eventually earn enough money to live comfortably as a Freelancer - this incorporates editorial writing, copywriting, blogging and some other sideline work which I shall get back to further down this list (its not selling drugs FYI - I am just being elusive for effect).

- To give me more time to dedicate to launching what will hopefully be a long and plentiful writing career, I have recently switched roles in my current job (an admin position at a college) and have reduced my full time hours to part time hours.

- I currently have a number of regular writing gigs on the go already - some paid and some not - which is great for allowing me to write frequently, earn some spare cash and get a portfolio together.

- I am dedicating a lot of my time at the moment to researching anything and everything to do with launching a Freelance Writing career, this involves; multiple trips to the library for books on the subject, reading heaps of forums and websites, watching TED talks and YouTube tutorials, and keeping a scrapbook of magazine articles.

- My hours at my current job will fully reduce to two days a week from mid-May and after that I plan to sign up to a Distance Learning course to gain an NCTJ accredited Diploma in Journalism - I am very much looking forward to studying again.

- I recently bought a nice new camera which gives me the freedom to produce my own images for pieces that I write - I also need to learn to properly use Photoshop because the 'basic knowledge of photoshop' on my CV is a push at best.

- Buying a camera also meant that I could start creating short vlog style films - here is my first attempt which I made of a recent trip to Copenhagen and edited with iMovie:

- I need to learn what I think is the boring side of being self-employed such as taxes and expenses and registering a business and all that yucky stuff. 

- I am working on my grammar which is obviously essential if wanting to be a writer. I think I have quite a creative mind when it comes to writing but my technical skills can let me down from time to time. 

- You know that 'sideline' thing that I mentioned earlier? Well I am hoping to start a beginners sign language course with the view to eventually turn it into a career. I have written before about my hearing impairment and I can only imagine how difficult it could be if you had no hearing at all. 

In other news: 

- I am still not drinking hurrah! I'm into my eighth month now. 
- I joined a gym and I ache everywhere. 
- I had my hair cut super short and will be changing the colour next week. 

0 comments: