Tomboy fashion: Summer wardrobe essentials

We're heading into the heart of the British summertime right now (no seriously folks- I know it's rained on and off for about 5 days recently but that hour or two that we sometimes get in a day when it's slightly less overcast and the rain ceases are fab) and that means we all have to adapt our outfits to suit the inevitable "heatwave" that we get when everyone pulls a sickie at work and turns up as red as a lobster the next day at work!

Now if you're anything like me and you dress slightly on the more tomboyish end of the spectrum then summer is not really a time for floaty dresses, dainty sandals or flowered headresses and is more a time for loose fitting cotton tees, linen trousers and a pair of Birkenstocks (I realise that these are the 'marmite' of shoes e.g. you either love or loathe them). 

I guess that this entry is going to be more of a quick lookbook of the kind of styles that I tend to lean toward in the summer months and although I like a bit of variety, they all have to adhere to the following criteria: 

1. They have to be comfortable
2. They usually have to be loose fitting 
3. They have to avoid showing up that uncomfortable stomach sweat that we all get when we've sat down for a while in the sun

Firstly, I think that the plain white, v- neck, tee/ vest is a staple for any super chill summer time outfit (I also love the beige linen trousers in some of the outfits below- another must have for walking around in the heat):
The next item that I think is an absolute staple is a smart-ish pair of tailored shorts, Zara do really great "European looking" type smart shorts (hopefully from the photos below, you'll understand what I mean when I say "European looking"): 
Match a pair of shorts with a striped top (most commonly blue/ navy and white as also seen above) and you'll look cute as a button...
...and if, for the evening time, you can co-ordinate your pair of shorts with a matching jacket/ top then you are just winning at life in my eyes: 
A comfy pair of harem linen trousers may make you look like you should belong in a commune somewhere and live of the 'fatta the lan' but you'll be super breezy and cool whilst others struggle with their legs sticking together in short skirts and dresses: 
And finally, here we come to the footwear section of this little Pinterest binge that I've presented to you here in this entry. 

Now I'm a complete sucker for a tan colour shoe in the summer, it can be an espadrille or a strappy sandal, a pump or brogue and the best thing is, is that they go with absolutely anything!
So there you have it folks, those are my top essential summer wardrobe items for the comfy side of life in the summer. Please note that all photos are courtesy of pinterest.com and you can check out my boards by clicking the symbol on the right hand side just below my photo. 

Have a great summer everyone! 

1 comment:

  1. Great way to express the beauty of footwear. You must try On Cloud Shoes . This shoes brand offer wide range of products for both men and women. The comfortable level of these shoes are second to none.

    ReplyDelete