TBH my TBR list is as long as my ARM. Reading in 2016.

Last year I set myself a Reading Challenge to read 50 books (I failed miserably FYI - see below). An easy feat some may argue (others may shudder with fear) with 1.4 books needing to be read per week. Novellas and shorter novels can be read in a number of hours and even an hour of reading a night should mean that a 300-worder can be polished off within a week. Or so I thought... 
As is a common complaint amongst folk that adhere to such reading challenges, I simply didn't feel like I had enough time to read the amount of books that I was aiming for whilst working full time, writing blog posts, trying to keep fit, writing editorial pieces for a number of websites, watching films, seeing friends and family, investing time in my relationship, and searching for more writing opportunities - ultimately reading was becoming 'un-fun'. 

Articles such as this one from the BBC about learning to read more in less time, detail how others have taken to teaching themselves the art of speed reading or even how turning four pages at a time will help. Quantity over quality it seems. That is not what reading is about for me. Why do it at all if you're only doing it to make the numbers up? 

It's strange however that I still managed to find time to watch hours of videos of puppies barking at themselves in mirrors or to read high end Buzzfeed articles with titles such as, 'Which sex toy best represents you? Take our Quiz'. I basically need to prioritise my time more in 2016 which is something that I identified in this post way back in March last year. 

Despite my obvious failings in 2015, I did manage to read a handful of books, some of which were smashing. Here are my top three reads from 2015:

-The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time by Mark Haddon 
-Where'd You Go Bernadette by Maria Semple
-The Rosie Project by Graeme Simpson 
Interestingly, all follow a similar theme of the comedic plight of a character who is seen as a little odd or on the fringes of society. 

In 2016, I am hoping to expand on genres and not simply stick to fictional novels. I am looking forward to reading:

-More non-fiction books. I received 'Champagne Supernovas' by Maureen Callahan from a friend this Christmas which details the fashion industry in the 90s.
-Graphic Novels. Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi is on my TBR list
-The Girls by Emma Cline - this is a fictional novel that I cannot wait to read, it looks like I'll have to wait till June though :(
I have yet to put a number down for 2016 (even though my Goodreads account states that I want to achieve 50 again this year). Yes, I do want to make more time to read but I also want to enjoy it rather than skipping it four pages at a time to make the numbers up. 

0 comments: