Taking responsibility and owning it

One of my pet peeves in life, aside from when my tea goes cold before I get a chance to drink it or the entire phenomenon of kitten heels, is when people blame the world for their problems. I can't bloody stand it! 

Good Lord above I like a good moan once in a while and my goodness if I'm passionate about something I will rant and rave until people are literally begging me to stop but I do try and live my life with the following philosophy: 

"Don't bitch and moan about the things that you can't change and find a way to change the things that you can"
Ruth Cutts, Age 27

Moaning about something and then doing nothing about it is like pissing into the wind in my opinion. Completely pointless. And the only person who is going to get pissed off (or on) is yourself. 

This post is in no way intended to be patronising and it's not a rant at all, I just wanted maybe to provoke a bit of thought dear reader about the things in your life that you may not be happy with and exploring if there are changes that can be made to improve these things. 

We have to take responsibility for our own actions as no amount of blaming the world or trying to tear down another is going to change our situation. If we are unhappy with our weight no amount of poking fun at someone bigger or blaming your 'big bones' is going to change anything, you need to get your butt to the gym and eat some more of that yucky green stuff. If you're unhappy in your job- go find a new one, if you're in an unhappy relationship be brave and don't be afraid to make that often heartbreaking decision to leave because what's the alternative? A life doomed to misery and trying to tolerate your other half rather then feeling loved and happy? No thanks! If you feel that your boss is being unfair then confront them about it, if you dislike where you live then find a way to move- the list could go on forever. 
I think a lot of what's behind placing the blame with others is a sense of fear of admitting to our own downfalls as humans. It's much easier to place responsibility in an external source if something fails than admit that it was our own doing. The trouble with this mentality is that nothing will ever get done and you'll spend your days looking back with regret that you didn't grab the opportunities that were yours for the taking with two hands, a sense of faith and confidence in yourself. 

Take this blog for instance. I have wanted to start a blog literally for 4 years and although I had a brief stint with a travel blog back in 2011 I was resistant to starting this one until February this year. Logistically it's rather simple to start a blog, you think of a name, sign up to a hosting website, find a template and voila you have a blog but actually it is much more than that. You are putting a little piece of yourself out there on the internet for scrutiny and if somebody doesn't like what you have to say then you are completely unguarded my friend. That is the reason why I was so reluctant to start this blog for so many years. 

But when I found myself thinking about blogging nearly every day and was really enjoying writing dummy blog posts on my computer which were seemingly never going to be read by anyone I realised that I just had to make the leap and thus 'This Ruth is On Fire' was born. 
This entry is just a little food for thought guys because if there's something that you desperately want out of life but are too afraid to attempt then you are serving a complete injustice to yourself and your time on this planet by not going for it. 

0 comments: