The Best Beginner Skateboard For Adults

Most skaters will have picked up their first board in their teens, perhaps even earlier, and they will most likely be male too. So what is a 29-year-old female doing writing a blog post about buying your first skateboard you might ask? But here I am. Starting to skateboard at nearly 30! 

There are so many forums online asking, ‘is it too late for me to start skateboarding?’, and the resounding answer (aside from the douchey 20-something sk8r bois that tell you otherwise) is that there is no such thing as an age limit when it comes to learning to skate. Need more convincing? Read Dean’s story here who started skateboarding at the age of 39! 

I plan to write more posts as my journey into skateboarding continues but today’s entry is going to be more of a brief set of practical tips for buying your first skateboard. 
This is me circa 2013 in New Zealand on a Sector 9 41.5" Longboard - I have only 'dabbled' in skateboarding before but loved cruising around on this baby <3  
Best Skateboard For Beginners
There are many different shapes and sizes of skateboards to choose from when starting out, all of which have different pros/ cons and purposes to suit your needs. Here is a quick rundown: 

Longboards: As the name suggests, these boards are longer than the average skateboard that you might see at the skate park. Within this category there are a variety of shapes that are designed for different purposes e.g. cruising, downhill, carving. This is the most common board for beginners to choose because of its stability (I’ll write a more in-depth post on longboards another time). 

Plastic Mini-Cruisers: A much smaller board with the main purpose of getting you from A to B. Easy to transport due to their size and weight but less stable underfoot. 

Double-kick or Trick Board: This is the board that most people will associate with skaters and is the type most likely to be found at a skate park. Size-wise, the board sits somewhere between a longboard and a mini-cruiser and has a double kick (e.g. upward curving end) at either end to allow for tricks. 

(Please note that I’m a beginner skateboarder and the board that I choose to ride is an Osprey Wood Gradient 32” Cruiser which has the width and stability of a longboard but is short enough and has a kicker like a trick board.) 

My 32" Cruiser

Best Skateboard Decks For Beginners 
Quite simply, the wider the deck the more stable the board will feel underfoot. Heavier and taller riders will need a larger deck too. For example, my board is 9.5” wide and has a maximum user weight of 100kg / 15 stone / 220Ib. The average width of a trick board is 7.5″- 8.25″ making it less stable but more maneuverable. If you’re completely starting from scratch, I really would recommend investing in a wider board first just to get used to cruising around on. 

Best Skateboard Wheels For Beginners 
Similarly to the deck, the bigger the wheels the more stable they feel underfoot. Larger wheels, in general, will ride for longer after each push and are less likely to get caught on stones, cracks or sticks in the road that might send you bailing over the top. Wheels are not only referred to in terms of size, but also in terms of durometer, meaning their hardness. Softer wheels have more grip and are more forgiving over rough surfaces but are less suitable for the skate park as their grip can be a hindrance if trying to do tricks. 



Best Skateboard Trucks For Beginners 
The trucks are the mechanism that attaches the wheels to the board and there’s a theme here…yes, you guessed it. The wider they are (let’s all say it together) the more stable they feel underfoot. The general rule of thumb is that the trucks should be around the same width as your deck.



This is a very basic rundown of how to pick your first skateboard with the overall message being that, the bigger the deck, wheels, and trucks the more stable the board will feel which is best for starting out. The best beginner skateboard advice that I was given, and that I shall pass on to you, is to go big at the start and just practice cruising up and down the street. There’s no fun in eating concrete on your first few attempts because you chose a board that is meant for high-performance riding.

I’d love to get some feedback on this post so leave a comment if you’re learning to skate, if you’re wanting to learn to skate, if you’ve just bought a board, if you’re the next Tony Hawks etc. 
Also, check out my social channels by clicking on the icons on the right, I’m going to be updating my youtube channel throughout my skating journey. 

17 comments:

  1. Hi Ruth, I am 25 and I want to learn how to skate. I weigh about 166. What would be the best skateboard for someone myself who has no experience whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get an 8.5 board thunder trucks will last a long time or you can go with a lighter set depends on you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ruth, I'm 42, around 75kg, no sense of balance, actually not very sporty at all. My son is forcing me to learn to skate, which skateboard should I go for to minimise falling on my face repeatedly?

    ( I'm kidding about my son, I love him and want to accompany him on his adventures )

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have shared here some valuable idea, thank a lot
    you also check my website here

    ReplyDelete
  5. Attractive, post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have liked browsing your blog posts. After all, I will surely subscribe to your feed, and I hope you will write again soon! https://longboardbrand.com/best-skateboard-cruising/

    ReplyDelete
  6. As seen on ABC Shark Tank with Robert Herjavec. Hamboards handcrafted Surfskate boards land paddles bring Earth Surfing to the world.
    best longboard for cruising

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great article on this skateboarding sport that I love. Also, check on the best skateboard brands

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great article! it's really useful for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Skateboard pro shops all over the world are abundantly supplied with skateboarding videos showing famous skateboard champions. These kinds of movies are the best method of passing the knowledge on the subject of techniques and hints in the sport. Normally available as a series and often a collaboration between several skateboarding professionals, a skateboarding video is often a fountain of hope for new skateboard hobbyists to turn into skillful thrashers themselves. Best Skateboarding Wheels

    ReplyDelete
  10. very informative article. Thanks for sharing.
    Riding Guide

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing this very informative post about skateboard This is so interesting to know. I really love reading your stuff being posted here.

    Best roller skates for dancing
    Best Snowboard Boots For wide feet

    ReplyDelete
  12. If we try to figure out the best skateboard brand, things will become really difficult. Because there are many categories. For you, here we get the list of top skateboard brands. Maybe your segregation may be different from us but if we leave the numbering. Check out now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Skateboarding has become very popular among people nowadays. check these guys out

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business. Tampa metaphysical store

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing this very informative post about skateboard. This is so interesting to know. I really love reading your stuff being posted here. For you, here we get the list of fastest electric longboard . Maybe your segregation may be different from us but if we leave the numbering.

    ReplyDelete