Tats OK: 8 things to think about when getting a tattoo

I am no tattoo expert...at all...let me just get that out there from the start. 

Until December 2014 when I got a large piece done I was practically tattoo free, apart from 4 very small ones which cost a tenner each and are frankly quite shite, and so I am in no way a fountain of knowledge when it comes to getting inked. I thought I'd jot down a few of my thoughts however surrounding getting my tattoo done late last year in case anybody is thinking of getting one or is interested in my waffling. 
1. Apart from the design, one of the most important aspects of getting a tattoo done is feeling comfortable in the shop and with the artist. I knew from the start that I wanted a female tattooist to do mine, I knew that I needed to meet her first, feel comfortable around her and like the shop. When I stumbled across Curiosities tattoo shop in my hometown of Ipswich and opened the front door to a treasure trove of Victorian artefacts dotted around the place, purple walls and a friendly atmosphere, I knew that I found my place. Depending on the size of your tattoo, it could mean that you will be spending numerous days solely with this person and if you find them irritating or awkward to be around then it's not going to be a fun experience at all. 

2. Having the actual tattoo done is only 50% of the pain, the following 72 hours are the other 50%. The constant dull ache, a stranger knocking into you at the shops, not being able to lie on it at night time are all part of the post- chair fun. A week later it will start to scab and get flakey and you'll want to put oven mitts on your hands to stop yourself from scratching it. Sounds a bit morbid but I thought I'd be honest. 

3. Now there are hundreds upon hundreds of articles on the internet giving advice on what to do if you're thinking of getting a tattoo for the first time and most will point out the painfully obvious; don't go to an unclean place where needles are lying around next to dog poop or if the tattooist appears drunk or if it's not an actual tattoo shop and is just a caravan in a Sainsburys car park or something. One that does crop up each time and that is super important however is being 100% sure of what you want because it ain't gonna go away easily if you get it done and then change your mind. I wanted a peacock design for 4 years + and I can't imagine how annoyed I'd be if I was anything but ecstatic about what I chose. 

4. People will give their opinion on your tattoo whether you ask for it or not. If you went up to a stranger and told them that you disliked their hair you'd probably get a handbag to the face or told not so politely to go away  because it's rude. The same rule doesn't apply to tattoos apparently; 

Stranger 1: I don't like tattoos
Ruth: *smiles politely* OK that's your opinion 

What I was actually thinking: Well I'm not to fond of you now you rude sunovabitch but I don't feel the need to tell you 

Stranger 2: Hmmm I'm not sure on your tattoo (I didn't ask for your opinion mate) I just hope you don't regret it when you get older
Ruth: *smiles politely* OK that's your opinion 

What I was actually thinking: Well I'm not too fond of your man breasts and BO issue that you seem to be having right now but we're not all perfect ay 

Stranger 3: What do your parents think of you getting it done then *disapproving look* (I almost expected this person to have hands on hips wagging their finger at me at this point)
Ruth: *smiles politely* Yeah they like it 

What I was actually thinking: They probably think that I'm 27 bloody years old and that if I wanted to walk around with a pair of tights on my head and pineapples over my tits then I should be allowed to do that!

5. Take treats...lots of treats when you get your tattoo done. Sugar and electrolytes are very much your friend. Nobody wants to be hitting the deck with low blood sugar levels halfway through the day. 

6. No matter what anybody says, you will get the buzz, I initially poopooed the idea completely but sometimes I find myself looking at my design wondering where I can add to it. 

7. Be open minded regarding the design, go in with a firm idea of what you want of course but your tattooist will be able to tell you what will actually look good on the body and will be able to make your design unique. You don't want to have some artwork on your body for the rest of your life that's a direct copy of something you saw on google images, tattoo faux pas my friend. 

8. Your tattoo doesn't have to have some deep meaning behind it if you don't want it to. You don't have to make up a story about it representing a sun rise that you saw over the Serengeti whilst you sat with the village elders having just saved a lion cub from a well etc. Tattoos are based on aesthetics anyway so if you just want it simply because it looks pretty then you go for it and don't feel shallow at all. 
Images all courtesy of Pinterest- some of my favourite designs. 

1 comment: