A tribute to my home county- Living in Suffolk

I do not mind winter, it's a time where we celebrate Bonfire Night, the Christmas period, New Years Eve and my girlfriend's birthday It's a time for chunky knits and warm cups of tea, fluffy socks, lots of books and being able to sneak that extra piece of chocolate into the diet because nobody is going to see your ever- expanding waistline under your numerous layers of clothing. I love walks in the frost when you can see your breath and when my nose turns red and I love those dark, windy nights when you're snuggled in bed. 

I love all this until about January 3rd and then I want it to warm the hell up and be sunny because once the Xmas/ NYE period is over the cold weather seems to lose most of it's appeal. 

That is why the recent spout of sunny and (kinda) warm weather we're having in the UK at the moment has given me a new lease of life and I'm feeling more positive and inspired than ever. 

Spring is obviously traditionally associated with new beginnings and explorations after the hibernation of the winter months and I'm finding myself really enjoying exploring my local surroundings in Suffolk and really taking in the beauty of my home county.  
Waldringfield on a spring morning
I've always enjoyed living in Suffolk and am very proud to be a Suffolkian and this is never more apparent when the days become longer and the sun decides to make a more regular appearance in the county. 

I can drive 10 mins and be by the river in Woodbridge, 30 mins and I'm at the beach in Southwold or Aldeburgh, 30 mins the other direction and I'm in The Brecklands with it's dramatic landscape (where the book 'H is for Hawk' is based) and it's wonderful forests, 10 minutes to Ipswich town centre, 30 minutes to the beautiful Bury St Edmunds and jump on a train and an hour later I'm in central London. 

Rendlesham Forest
Orford Castle
I've mentioned in a previous blog post that finding enjoyment in exploration does not necessarily mean jumping on a plane and racking up the miles, it can simply mean opening your eyes a little bit more to your surroundings. 

Before I went travelling in 2011 I most definitely had become complacent with Suffolk and the UK in general and felt that to really 'see things' I needed geographical distance to validate it but since returning last year I have adopted a new mindset to exploration in a place that I have lived for the majority of my life. 
The Pump Street Bakery in Orford, made famous by Oscar winner Mat Kirby who name checked this place during the ceremony. 
Oh so cute cottages in Orford
Delicious vegetarian food (i'm not veggie FYI) at the Museum Street Cafe in Ipswich town centre 
My only qualm with sleepy Suffolk is in fact it's sleepiness, it's a wonderful metropolis of calm and easy- living and I will sporadically throughout the year feel the need to jump on a train to a big city just to introduce a bit of mania into my life. 


Beautiful architecture at Butley Priory
Coffee at The Mess Cafe in Thorpeness
Thrift shopping at Thorpeness Emporium- I loved this hat and am so gutted I didn't buy it at the time. 


Riding the bike trails in Thetford Forest
I feel that, as with most places, Suffolk comes alive in the summer months and every weekend there is never a shortage of live outdoor music events (most notably Latitude music festival), there are open air plays in the woods, mazes to explore, crabs to catch (from the river not from being out on a Friday night),  fish and chips to eat at the seaside and heaps more.

This post totally sounds like it's a promotional piece by some tourist board but these are all 100% my genuine thoughts about my home county and I hope that it will inspire you to go out and explore the area where you live a little more or at least see it with fresh eyes because sometimes the most beautiful places on earth are right under our noses. 

0 comments: