The Power of Focusing on One Project at a Time


I am a Libran. Besides, from being very charming, romantic and tactful (of course) it also means that I can be indecisive. Now I don’t have trouble picking out clothes when shopping or food at restaurants but I do like to keep my fingers in many pies when it comes to creative projects and work.
I decided, all within a year, that I wanted to gain a recognised qualification in Journalism, learn BSL, learn Spanish, change my career completely, launch a Youtube channel, begin writing the novel that has been lingering in my brain for close to a decade, learn how to take killer photographs, learn how to be my own accountant, learn HTML and website design and so much more…

Never Lose The Focus
Now, I am not saying that these project can’t be done. I am saying that they can’t be done ALL AT THE SAME TIME. Each project deserves my undivided enthusiasm and passion and when you spread yourself too thin over multiple projects you end up completing none of them. Which is what I have done.
What I was getting frustrated at was that I wasn’t perfect at each project. My editing and camera work was still very amateur, my photos weren’t winning Nat Geo competitions, my writing was not a bestseller, and then I stopped. I realised how silly I was being. How could they be if I had only dedicated a small % of my time to them whilst I was juggling all my other projects?
I attended a webinar recently with Jessica Abel, and she spoke with such clarity about the benefits of working on projects chronologically rather than simultaneously. As I was listening to her, headphones in, a cup of tea at the ready, pen poised to take notes, I really did have a light bulb moment. She was explaining exactly why I was feeling overwhelmed and why I felt like there were never enough hours in the day. She made me understand why none of my projects were moving along at the pace that I wanted them to be and why I wasn’t feeling satisfied with the level of competency that each project was receiving.

So now my focus is shifting. I want my attention to be like a laser on one project rather than soft ambient lighting that touches each project but doesn’t really make an impact.

If you’re still reading, ask yourself if you might be taking on too many projects at one time? Do you feel frustrated at the lack of progress on such projects? If so, change the pattern from working simultaneously to chronologically and trust me, your stress levels will significantly reduce, you’ll have more clarity of direction and you will gain much more satisfaction from a job being completed to the best of your ability.

0 comments: