5 Things I Loved about Copenhagen

Following a recent visit to Copenhagen for a hen-do, here is my run down of the "City of Spires":  

5 Things I Loved about Copenhagen
  1. The Fashion. A little more subdued than the colours and patterns of British fashion (I wore a sequinned dress one evening and it caused quite the stir - in a positive way mind), the Danes seem to be a well dressed bunch with minimal, tailored pieces and great trainer game being the weapon of choice. Think Zara and H&M (it is a Scandinavian brand after all) type fashion across all ages - I’ve never seen such well dressed children and over 50s in my life (they all look so darn healthy too). 
    Both taken from The Sartorialist
  2. The Bars. Quirky and very hipster, the bars of Denmark were very impressive (and this is from a non-drinker). We were encouraged by locals to visit the meat-packing district which housed  a really great selection of unique bars and restaurants, and when I say ‘unique’ I mean it - Warpigs bar had pig bones for beer pump handles and smelt, rather overwhelmingly, of a hot bacon broth! The bars in the meat packing district were situated in industrial type spaces and could often be confused with disused warehouses or hardware stores. If bacon smelling bars are not your thing then there are plenty of hidden gems along the canal area of the city, such as the more glamorous cocktail bar we went to on our first night. 

  3. The Architecture. When I say that the buildings were very ‘Scandinavian’ I don’t want you to think that I am being stupid - of course they would look like that due to geography, but I am instead hoping that you know what I mean when I say that?! I’m talking; beautiful coloured buildings down by the water almost reminiscent of a fishing town and geometric, modern architecture at the city’s colleges and museums. 
  4. The Food. Could I tell you what a traditional Danish meal is? No, probably not. Could I tell you that they are famous for their bacon and their pastries and that I indulged A LOT in these during my time there? Why yes, yes I could.

  5. The People. The Danish seemed a friendly bunch and were very hospitable during our stay there, from the hotel staff, to taxi drivers and waiting staff (although one waitress in particular didn’t seem too chuffed at having to serve 15 Brits), even strangers when asking for directions all seemed happy to chat and help you out. 

Things I didn’t love quite so much: 

  1. The Price. It is an expensive city and you won’t get much change when buying a round of drinks. 
  2. The Bikes. How healthy of the Danes to bike everywhere, great really, but a death trap nonetheless for those of us not used to congested bike lanes. 
  3. Smoking Indoors. One bar we visited allowed patrons to smoke inside and I was suddenly transported back to 2005 when I was 18 and would come back from a night out smelling like an ashtray 

0 comments: