5 Life Lessons that I Learnt from my Nan

Today would have been my nan's birthday if she were still with us. I used to call her 'nanny' instead of nan but I didn't want this post to be titled: '5 Life Lessons that I Learnt from my Nanny' in case you thought I was talking about some attractive, German au pair who looked after me when I was a youngster instead of a cute, elderly woman from the Suffolk countryside.

I hold a lot of respect in my heart for my nanny and she taught me many life lessons that I often think about to this day.
1. To Work Hard. My nanny was a grafter. She was always working, and often in many different jobs. I never really knew her in a paid job as she had already retired by the time I was old enough to start making memories but even in her retirement she worked in a bookshop, at the church, with the girl guides, and the youth club - she was always busy.

2. To Just go with the Flow. My nanny never seemed phased by anything. She didn't even so much as raise an eyebrow when I turned up one weekend with dyed jet black hair and a lip piercing. She never tried to change anyone or tell them how they should live their life.

3. To be Kind of Heart. She would always help out when she could. Even as she got older and less mobile she would always help those that were less fortunate, I remember my nanny raising money at the church fete and volunteering to make cups of tea at church events. She saw the good in everybody too and was very genteel in manner.

4. Appreciate the Small Things. She took so much joy from seemingly small things such as a bunch of flowers or the smallest of achievements of her grandchildren. In her final years, when I had moved away to University, we became pen pals and would send letters to each other every week - I know that those letters made her so happy.

5. Always Smile and get Outside. I never remember visiting my nanny at the weekend and us not walking into town or to the football club, the park, or the seaside. She was never one to sit still and even when she could barely walk (or at least did so slowly) we still would visit the shops down the road - I can still hear her feet shuffling down the High Street now.

0 comments: