1 Year Without Booze: 5/12 months update

Here's the deal...

...on the 1st September 2015 I decided to give up drinking alcohol for a year (I wrote about it here and here if you want to know the reasons why), and I can happily say that not one drop of alcohol has touched my lips since.

We're now in February which means that I went through the entire festive period without a tipple - this was definitely my biggest test so far. More than anything I miss red wine and, although there are non-alcoholic alternatives available in the supermarkets, it still doesn't match the warm fuzz from a bottle of Merlot. Traditionally at Christmas time I have also always enjoyed a warm cup of mulled wine and  I searched my toosh off in 2015 to find a non-alcoholic option to absolutely no avail.

Suddenly, in early Feb, I stumble across three bottle of non-alcoholic mulled wine, reduced to clear, at 50p a pop in M&S and bought the lot. Eureka!!!

It got me thinking about other alcohol free alternatives that I can enjoy throughout the year to prove that cutting out the booze doesn't necessarily have to mean that you need to miss out.

Winter/ Xmas time: Mulled Wine/ Cider
As mentioned before, I cheated and bought my mulled wine from the supermarket - I added a dash of cinnamon and a slice of orange to further enhance the flavour. If making from home use apple juice (cider) or red grape juice (mulled wine), add some sugar and spices e.g. cinnamon, nutmeg, orange and/ or lemon juice, some water and heat through in a pan.

A night on the town - Ginger Beer Mojito
My girlfriend is an absolute mojito fiend and if making cocktails in the house, she will make me my very own ginger beer alternative so that I don't feel left out. Experience has also taught me that a mojito is also the most widely available mocktail available if out in a bar.
Watching the tennis - Alcohol-free Pimms
This recipe was introduced to me by a colleague at work and I have yet to try it. From the reviews on various blogs that I've read, it seems to be a genuine alternative to the real deal. It is simply a case of 1tbsp of balsamic vinegar to every litre of lemonade, add all the foliage and chunky bits in the top, serve in a jug with Wimbledon on the tele and jobs a goodun.
In the summer/ BBQ - Lavender and Lemon Iced Tea
Long Island can keep their boozy alternative because this refreshing iced tea with lavender and lemon sounds like heaven on a summers day.
For your fake hangover - A (virgin) Bloody Mary
When you wake up without so much of a smidge of hangover you can happily sip on your non-alcoholic Bloody Mary whilst your boozy pals rub their temples and try to piece together the night before (try not to be too spritely and annoying though - don't become 'that' friend).
After a day at the beach - Alcohol free Sangria 
Channel your mediterranean vibes with a jug of alchohol free Sangria on a warm summer evening (assuming you're not in the UK here - if you are in ol' Blightly then wrap up warm, close your eyes and pretend you're in a warmer climate).
When you have a cold - Lemon, Lavender and Ginger Hot Toddy
Like a traditional hot toddy minus the whiskey, this alternative will aim to clear your head (or at least will taste nicer than any medicine from the Doctors).

0 comments: